Monday 11 January 2016

Rosmarie Trockel

Rosmarie was suggested to me as an Artist to research, and to begin with i wasn't sure if i liked her work or even if i understood it.

I selected two exhibition's of Rosmarie's that stood out to me for different reasons.

I chose Trockel's knitted paintings, as to me these are very similar to my craft, and i felt i could relate to them. In weave we create card windings to test ideas and widths with our dyed or un dyed yarn before putting a warp onto our loom. This instantly became relevant and i could see the textile reflection in her work. Something that also appealed to me was how she pushes the boundaries, of what is Art and what is Craft, and this is a question I've been asking myself while researching this project, can Textiles be Art? ... Does there have to be the divide, in who is a craftsperson and who is an Artist?




'A Cosmos' captured my attention more closely relating to Diaries. When i saw these framed pieces, i instantly thought it could be a visual interpretations of someone's diary entry, and the way Trockel has framed the installation, gives it a fragility and vulnerability that diaries so often have.


I also wanted to take from both these exhibitions the use of Framing, it's not something i have thought about before, and when developing my samples, i have tried hanging them, or taking them out into locations, but i feel to look at they can often become just one big jumble, and are viewed as one piece, not really being appreciated individually, which is a quality i think framing could bring into my work, to give it a different perspective, to what i have previously explored.


No comments:

Post a Comment