Friday 15 January 2016

Deadline: Studio Area & Evaluation.


Inspired by Rosmarie Trockel, I decided to frame my samples as my final presentation. I am really happy with how these have turned out, I feel its the first time my samples look complete and finalised and with the addition of the labels, there clearer to read. I think the frames also show the sequential element of each sample, but allow you to view each day individually, as well as a complete month.

As an improvement, i hung the left wall of samples so they were in date order and then hung the right, but now reviewing them, i would have gone across both walls so the date order was left to right over the two boards.

The colour scheme and suitcase, i chose to keep with a vintage, feel. My research into postcards, (Visible Mending and Post Secret) inspired me to think about travel and memories, all elements of a diary, so as a final presentation i wanted to play with different medias, to see which conveyed the strongest narrative. Visible Mending i patch worked the wall with selected wallpapers, so for my own samples i decided to paint the boards just to take away from the white wall feeling, but still thinking about gallery spaces and how to invite the audience in. 

The suitcase and Visible mending also allow people to interact with the work, read people's postcards and touch the samples. As now my samples have been framed they have lost the element of them being tactile, and being able to touch and hold them, but going back to what Trockel's work is about, i feel this challenges what is Craft and what is Art. Now my samples can't be interacted with, and are hanging on a wall, are they now seen as Art or still a Craft? 








No comments:

Post a Comment